Moving During COVID-19 View Here

Military Movers San Diego, CA & Chula Vista, CA

  • All Fields Are Required

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Hidden

Republic Moving & Storage’s Military Movers in San Diego and Surrounding Areas

As a leading military moving and storage provider we take great pride in providing service personnel and families with the top-of-the-line military moving and storage services they deserve. In addition to our stellar military moving and storage services, our military movers San Diego provide you with instant access to military moving tools, resources and the support that is needed to complete a successful military move.
Whether you are dealing with Permanent Change of Station (PCS), a deployment, sending your loved ones off to boot camp or making your way home after your dedicated service; we are with you every step of the way. Our online tools and resources, combined with access to our highly-trained military movers San Diego ensure that all of your military and storage needs are met with Republic Moving & Storage.

For More information about our military moving services or to speak with one of our military movers San Diego, call today!

Military Moving Acronym Guide

For your convenience we have listed below the most common acronyms to help guide you through your military move:
A-Z Military Moving Acronym Guide

CONUS – Continental United States
Refers to the 48 states on the North American continent. Note: Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories are considered outside the continental United States (OCONUS).

CSS- Customer Service Satisfaction Survey

DEERS – Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
DEERS registration is the key to getting your TRICARE benefits eligibility established. DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits.

DFAS – Defense Finance and Accounting Services
DFAS provides finance and accounting services for the civil and military members of the Department

DITY – Do-It-Yourself (see also PPM)

DMPO – Defense Military Pay Office
Handles PCS travel-related pay and finance issues.

DoD- Department of Defense

DoDEA – Department of Defense Education Activity
An agency that oversees the school system for military kids.

DPS – Defense Personal Property System
An internet-based computerized program that manages DoD household goods moves. To utilize this program, click here.

FRV- Full-replacement Value

GCC – Government Constructed Costs
The moving fees the government would have to pay when relocating a service member and their dependents to a new duty station.

HHG – Household Goods
Furniture and other personal belongings.

HOR- Home of Record

HOS- Home of Selection

MALT – Mileage in Lieu of Transportation
If you choose to drive your privately owned vehicle(s) (POV) from your old duty station to your new location, the government will pay you a set amount for each vehicle. Click here for the most recent MALT rate.

MCO- Military Claims Office

NTS- Non-Temporary Storage

OCONUS – Outside Continental United States
Regions outside the continental United States such as: Italy, Japan. Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, and Puerto Rico are examples of regions considered OCONUS.

PCS – Permanent Change of Station
Relocating from one duty station to another. Includes stateside and overseas moves.

POV – Privately Owned Vehicle
Vehicle owned by the service member or their dependents.

PPM – Personally Procured Move
Formerly referred to as DITY the PPM occurs when a service member chooses to hire private movers instead of utilizing the services provided by the military.

PPPO- Personal Property Processing Officer

RITA – Relocation Income Tax Allowance
Allowance meant to reimburse travelers who paid additional federal, state and local taxes due to a PCS move. This allowance is not automatic. You must apply for it.
SIT- Storage in Transit

TLA – Temporary Lodging Allowance
An allowance for temporary meals and housing when making an OCONUS move. The allowance covers up to 60 days while you await housing, however, it can be extended if necessary.

TLE – Temporary Lodging Expense
Payment to offset temporary lodging and meals while you’re at your old duty station or after you’ve arrived at the new location. TLE is not paid while you’re in transit from one duty station to another and is only provided for CONUS PCS moves.
TMO- Transportation Management Officer
TSP- Transportation Service Provider

TO – Transportation Office
Coordinates and handles the packing and shipping aspects of your move. The name of this office varies among the branches:

Army: ITO (Installation Transportation Office)
Navy and Marine Corps: PPSO (Personal Property Shipping Office)

Air Force: TMO (Traffic Management Office)

Coast Guard: HHGSO (Household Goods Shipping Office)

UAB – Unaccompanied Baggage
When you have an OCONUS move some of your necessary personal items will ship by air so that you’ll have them when you arrive, versus waiting for the rest of your household goods which will ship separately. These must-have items are considered unaccompanied baggage.

Still not finding what you are looking for? Here is the DOD Dictionary of Military Terms

Military Moving: Permanent Change of Station (PCS)

A Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is the relocation of an active duty service member and their dependent family members to a different location or military base. PCS orders vary for each service member and can include: relocation to the same area, overseas orders, change of ship’s homeport, change of unit’s location, temporary duty and/or retirement.
Whatever your PCS orders entail it is important to know what moving/transportation allowances you are eligible for when you should expect reimbursement and how to handle any out-of-pocket moving expenses.

PCS Travel Reimbursement Overview
The government will pay a large portion of the moving costs. Out-of-pocket moving expenses not covered in your PCS moving allowance can generally be claimed on your taxes; so be prepared to save all receipts and documentation. The most common reimbursed travel/moving allowances include:

Dislocation Allowance (DLA): DLA partially reimburses relocation expenses not otherwise reimbursed and is an addition to any other allowances that you may receive. DLA is based on your pay grade and the number of dependents included in the PCS orders. DLA’s change year-to-year, to find the most current rate information click here.

Household Goods (HHG) & Privately Owned Vehicle (POV): your personal belongings, referred to as HHG, are authorized for transport to your new station based on a weight limit that is determined by your rank and family status. Your Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) may qualify for shipment or storage dependent on your PCS orders. As soon as you receive your PCS notification, get started on the moving process immediately to ensure no holdups. Start decluttering your home to ensure you are within your weight limits, start getting important family documents in order and set up your account with the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) portal so you can start setting up your move. Planning early is the key to a successful military move.

Personal & Dependents Travel: your PCS travel for you and your dependents will be covered by the government either through common carrier, by providing you monies to travel via your privately owned vehicle (POV) and/or they will pay you per diem (daily) for meals and lodging for a specified number of days.
Temporary Lodging: additional costs that you may incur when looking for housing or living in temporary quarters may be partially reimbursed by the government through either Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) or Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE).

Military Moving: Valuables, Expensive Items & Personal Information

Prepare for a successful military moving experience with the top three military moving tips from the military moving experts at Republic Moving:

Valuables: consider independently having your valuables/expensive items such as fine art, collectibles and heirlooms appraised before your military move. Although the military does not reimburse you for the appraisals it is an investment in safeguarding your valuables in the unfortunate event of damage or loss.
Household Items & Electronics: consider utilizing video and pictures to capture the condition of your household items prior to your military move. The working condition of your electronics and the condition of your furniture and goods will be valuable in the unfortunate event of damage or loss.

Valuables- Personal, Important Paperwork & Financials: stocks, bonds, jewelry, collections (coin, stamp, rare collections), photo albums, passports, birth certificates, irreplaceable items (heirlooms), important documents such as medical, veterinarian and school records, moving receipts and appraisals should all be kept with you (not packed for shipment) in your suitcase.

Personally Identifiable Information (PII): PII is any information about an individual that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual’s identity such as name, Social Security Number (SSN), date and place of birth, mother’s maiden name, and biometric records. Public Law allows for some data on an ocean vessel manifest, which may contain PII, be shared with parties outside of the Department of Defense (DoD). To protect your PII click here, then select “Quick Links” and download the “Vessel Manifest Confidentiality Request Form”. Approvals can take anywhere up to two months; once approved the form is good for two years.

PCS Travel Allowances: Personal & Dependents

Travel to your new station can be done via common carrier, such as airplane or railroad, or via a privately owned vehicle (POV). It is important to note that every PCS is different, so understanding your PCS is important because the rules and reimbursements will vary.

Common Carrier: The government will provide you a ticket when you travel via common carrier and reimburse you for travel to and from the common carrier station with valid receipts. You and your dependents receive per diem for travel time and authorized delays.

Per Diem: Within CONUS, active Service Members are authorized per diem for the allowed travel time, hotel expenses are reimbursed with valid receipts.

Traveling dependents are also authorized per diem but at a reduced rate: dependents 12 and older receive 75% of the authorized per diem, dependents under the age of 12 receive 50% of the authorized per diem. Outside CONUS: Per diem locality rates apply with the same fractional amounts for dependents listed above.

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV): The government will pay mileage and travel tolls to travel to your new station. If traveling with dependents and more than one vehicle is required, you will receive mileage reimbursement for each vehicle. You will be authorized one day of per diem for each 350 miles of official distance.

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Special circumstances may include but are not limited to: separate dependent travel, retirement, separation from active duty and the potential need for dependents to travel overseas. Sometimes dependents are authorized to travel separately for example in cases of deployment when the family is asked to wait for the deployment term to end. In these cases, the dependents will receive full travel allowances including per diem at the 100% rate for your spouse and applicable rates for children.

Retirement: A member who retires is authorized travel for themselves and their dependents to anywhere in the U.S., their Home of Record outside the U.S., or anywhere in the world if the cost does not exceed transportation to a CONUS location.

Separation from Active Duty: A member who separates from active duty is authorized to travel for themselves and their dependents to their home of record, or any other location not to exceed the cost of travel from their old permanent station to their home of record.

Overseas Dependents: under special circumstances, overseas dependents may be authorized to travel back to the states alone and are entitled to receive full travel allowances. Examples of these special circumstances may include: family death, legal matters, divorce, custody matters and/or dangerous conditions.

Military Moving: Weight Allowances

Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) lists the maximum Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Non-Temporary Storage (NTS) weight allowances, paid by the Government, that you can ship and/or store is based on the member’s rank and dependency status. Temporary Duty (TDY) weight allowances are also based on the member’s rank. Note: weight allowances do not include professional books, papers and/or equipment or needed medical equipment (PBP&E / Pro-Gear)
For your military moving convenience, we have provided the below charts and included notes which are taken directly from the pamphlet “It’s Your Move” Armed Forces Members by the Defense Transportation Regulation -Part IV Personal Property, October 2016. For more information on your military move, we encourage you to visit: www.Move.Mil

NOTE: The Secretary concerned may authorize a higher weight allowance (not to exceed [NTE] 18,000 pounds) of a member below pay grade O-6, but only on a case-by-case basis. The Secretary may increase the member’s PCS weight allowance if the Secretary determines that failure to increase the member’s weight allowance would create a significant hardship to the member or the member’s dependents

PCS and NTS Weight Allowance (Pounds)
Grade NOTE 1/ NOTE 3With Dependents NOTE 2Without Dependents
0-10 to 0-618,00018,000
0-1/W-A/Service Academy Graduates12,00010,000
E-915,000 NOTE 413,000 NOTE 4
Aviation Cadets8,0007,000
Service Academy Cadets/ Midshipmen 350

NOTE 1: Includes a Uniformed Service regular and Reserve Component member, and an officer holding a temporary commission in the U.S. Army/Air Force.

NOTE 2: For this table, a member “with dependents” is a member who has a dependent eligible to travel at Government expense incident to the member’s PCS. Actual dependent travel has no bearing. Incident to a member’s first PCS after:

  1. The death(s) of all of the member’s dependent(s), or
  2. A divorce that leaves the member with no dependent(s) eligible to travel at Government expense, the member has the weight allowance of a member “with dependents”.

NOTE 3: A member appointed from an:

  1. Enlisted/warrant officer grade to a commissioned officer grade, or
  2. Enlisted grade to a warrant officer grade or rating is authorized the grade’s weight allowance:
    1. Held on the member’s PCS authorization/order effective date used for HHG transportation, or
    2. From which an appointment was accepted, whichever is greater.
  3. Upon reversion, the member is authorized the weight allowance of the grade held
    1. On the member’s PCS authorization/order effective date then being used for HHG transportation, or
    2. Before reversion, whichever is greater.

NOTE 4: A member selected as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Sergeant Major of the Army, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, or Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard is authorized a weight allowance of:

  1. 17,000 pounds with dependents or,
  2. 14,000 pounds without dependents.

for a PCS authorization/order issued on or after receiving notice of selection to that position and for the remainder of the military career.

Army, Airforce, Marine CorpsNavy, Coast Guard and National Oceanic & Atmosphere Administration CorpsPublic Health ServiceWeight Allowance
General/ General of ArmyAdmiralN/ANOTE 2
Lieutenant GeneralVice AdmiralSurgeon General1500
Major GeneralRear Admiral (upper half)Deputy/ Assistant Surgeon General1000
Brigadier GeneralRear Admiral (lower half)Assistant Surgeon General1000
Lieutenant Colonel/
Warrant Officer (W-5)
Warrant Officer (W-5)
Major/ Warrant Officer (W-3)Lieutenant Commander/Warrant Officer (W-4)Full800
Captain/ Warrant Officer (W-3)Lieutenant Warrant Officer (W-3)Senior Assistant600
First Lieutenant/Contract Surgeon/Warrant Officer W-2)Lieutenant (Junior Grade)/ Warrant Officer (W-2)Assistant600
Second Lieutenant/Officer Graduate of Service Academy/Warrant Officer (W-1)Ensign/Officer Graduate of Service Academy/Warrant Officer (W-1)Junior Assistant600
E-9E-9N/A600 NOTE 3
E-7 TO E-1E-7 to E-1N/a400
Aviation CadetAviation CadetN/aService Academy
Service Academy Cadet/

NOTE 1: Includes a Regular member, a member of a Uniformed Service Reserve Component, and an

NOTE 2: The Secretarial process may authorize additional weight up to 2,000 pounds (up to 4,000 pounds’ total) for the Chiefs of Staff, U.S. Air Force and U.S. Army, the Chief of Naval Operations, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and the Commandant of the Coast Guard officer holding a temporary commission in the Army/Air Force of the United States.

NOTE 3: A member selected as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Sergeant Major of the Army, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, or Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, who requires a TDY weight allowance of HHG, is authorized a weight allowance of 800 pounds for a TDY authorization/order issued on or after receiving notice of selection to that position and for the remainder of the military career.

  1. You, not your TO or TSP, are responsible for staying within your authorized weight allowance. If the weight of items packed, shipped or stored exceeds your weight allowance, you are financially responsible for the payment of all charges connected with excess weight in accordance with (IAW) your Service guidance/regulations.
  2. For this reason, estimating the weight of your HHG is very important. Estimates should start early, even before you visit your TO or before you prepare your application to ship and or store personal property in DPS. The counselor at your TO requires an estimated weight for each shipment you intend to make.
  3. An easy and usually dependable method for making this estimate is to figure 1,000 pounds per room (not including storage rooms or bathrooms), then add the estimated weight of large appliances and items in the garage, storage rooms, basement, etc. An optional method is to use the “Weight Estimator
  4. Weight Estimates Not Official:
    1. Weight estimates are not official; they are planning tools only. You can never use weight estimates to refute excess weight charges.
  5. Excess Weight Can Cost Big Money:
    1. Exceeding your authorized weight allowance on a move can cost you a lot of money. Charges for excess weight can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars.
    2. Notification of overweight charges can take many months after your move is completed. For a member who is separating from the Service and no longer remains in an active pay status, excess costs should be paid prior to the movement of HHG. Excess costs are collected IAW Service regulations. Contact your local TO for additional information regarding excess costs.
  6. Verify Accuracy of Excess Cost:
    1. The way to avoid excess weight charges is to stay within your authorized weight allowance by estimating early and disposing of unnecessary possessions. When you receive a notification for exceeding your weight allowance, check it carefully. Often you may not have received credit for PBP&E/Pro-Gear. The estimated weight of PBP&E/Pro-Gear must be declared at the time of counseling (at your local TO or when Self-Counseling in DPS if applicable) and annotated on DD Form 1299, Application for Shipment and/or Storage of Personal Property,
    2. If you have any questions concerning your excess weight, contact your local TO.
  7. Request for Reweigh:
    1. The TO at origin or destination can authorize a reweigh of your personal property shipment at your request at no cost to you. This ensures a reweigh of your personal property is completed or scheduled prior to accepting delivery. If you are available when your shipment is reweighed, you have the right to witness the reweigh and/or request to see the reweigh tickets for verification.
  8. Overseas Weight Limitations
    1. Some overseas areas impose administrative weight restrictions. If the area to which you are assigned provides Government furniture, for example, the Government may impose an administrative weight restriction, which would prevent you from shipping your full JTR weight allowance overseas. In these cases, a member is limited to HHG transportation of 2,500 pounds (net) or, 25 percent (net) of the member’s authorized weight allowance whichever is greater, plus UB transportation. If both spouses are members and are assigned to the same Outside Continental United States (OCONUS) area where they jointly occupy quarters, they are limited to one administrative weight allowance, based on the higher ranking member’s weight allowance; however, each is authorized individually to UB transportation, PBP&E/Pro-Gear, and required medical equipment. The counselor at your TO can provide information on weight-restricted areas.
    2. If you are administratively weight restricted, you have the option of storing the remainder of your HHG in long-term storage called NTS, or you may ship your HHG to a designated location within the Continental United States (CONUS) for the duration of your overseas tour. UB is included in your JTR weight allowance but is in addition to your administrative HHG weight allowance. Authorized PBP&E/Pro-Gear are not counted against the full JTR weight allowance or an administrative weight allowance. If declaring PBP&E/Pro-Gear, you must provide an estimated weight during counseling and it must be annotated on your DD Form 1299 prior to HHG/UB pickup.

Military Moving: Permanent Change of Station (PCS) & Pets

If you just received your Permanent Change of Station (PCS) there are a lot of details to take care of including what to do with your family pet. There are different rules and options for service members in regard to their PCS and their pet.

Status: Single
Depending upon the rank of the service member and what your PCS living arrangements include, determines if you are able to take your pet with you. If you are assigned to a room at the barracks, then pets are not allowed. If your PCS includes an apartment or home, then your pet may be eligible for travel.

Status: Married
If you are married, all your dependents are included in your PCS orders and the family moves as a whole. Pets may be included in the move if the family takes the proper steps to notify the appropriate personnel, pays for the pet’s travel and makes the travel arrangements. If the financial obligation to transport your pet is too great, explore options such as the SPCA’s Operation Military Pets program that helps pay for your pet’s relocation cost. It is important to keep in mind that depending upon where your PCS orders are geographically, you may or may not be able to take your pet with you due to different health requirements. You must check with the destination base, the Department of Agriculture and consulate of the destination country when moving overseas; quarantine may be required depending upon the country. If the PCS destination is within the United States, housing generally imposes a limit of two pets per household. If Hawaii is the PCS destination, Hawaii requires quarantine, microchipping and rigorous paperwork; consulting with your base’s veterinarian prior to travel is recommended to ensure a smooth transport of your pet(s).

PCS: Not Able to Take Your Pet with You

Friends & Family: Although it is our preferred option that your pet remains with a trusted family member or friend, depending upon your pet’s needs or the capabilities of the potential caretaker, it may not always be the best choice. Only you will know if this option is a good fit and we recommend that you treat this option the same way you would treat it if you were considering a stranger to care for your pet. Are they responsible? Do they have the time, energy and financial resources to care for the well-being of your pet? What happens if they change their mind? Will your pet enjoy the change? Are there any potential roadblocks that could make your friends or family change their mind: your pet doesn’t get along with children or other pets or potential life-changing events that could arise? Although we recommend this being the best option, we encourage you to not make any hasty decisions when deciding your pet’s future

Military Pet Foster Organizations: unfortunately, Military Pet Fostering is not a long-term solution and assists more with deployment situations rather than PCS’s. Military Pet Fostering can, however, be helpful for PCS-ers whose pets are unable to travel at their scheduled time due to weather, medical reasons or quarantine reasons; in this case, foster arrangements can last up to six months. There are requirements that your pet must meet in order to be considered for fostering including, being microchipped, up-to-date on shots and being spayed/neutered. Here is a list of some reputable Military Foster Organizations:

Dogs on Deployment : Dogs on Deployment is a national non-profit that provides an online network for service members to search for volunteers who are willing to board their dogs during their owner’s service commitment.

Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pets: Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pets is an all-volunteer, national organization assisting and supporting active duty service, wounded warriors, veterans and their four-legged companions through programs such as Pet Fostering.

PACT for PACT works directly with military personnel to match their companion animals with appropriate foster homes.

Rehoming: Rehoming your pet is definitely not the easiest option to come to terms with, but sometimes it is the best option for your pet. Here are some options to help finding your furry family member a suitable home:

Local Rescues: research local, reputable rescues in the area that rely on volunteers to foster and rehome their rescues. These animals are not cooped up in cages, they are members in the foster’s family and are not at risk of being euthanized. Here is a sample of some reputable Southern California Rescues to consider when rehoming / surrendering your dog:

San Diego | Military Pet Rescues:

Rover’s Retreat
Second Chance Dog Rescue
CA Labradors Retrievers & More
Rescue House (North County: Cats)
Spot: Saving Pets One at a Time: (North County: Dogs & Cats)

Orange County | Riverside County | Military Pet Rescue

Rancho Dog Rescue
I.C.A.R.E Dog Rescue
2nd Chance Rescue (Norco, CA)

Listing Your Pet: under any circumstance, do not list your dog on any online sites such as: Craig’s List, Nextdoor or Facebook as a way of finding a home for your dog. Dog fighters troll these sites looking for pets they can use as bait. Dog fighters look like nice people, they show up to your home, are courteous and promise to love the animal. If you absolutely insist on listing your dog online make sure you require a fee—at least in the few hundred dollar-range. Dog fighters/ abusers will not pay hundreds of dollars for your pet.

Breed Specific Rescues: if your pet is a specific, purebred breed you can look to rescues that specialize in rescuing your pet’s breed.
Local Shelters: Surrender your dog to a no-kill shelter. Understand the terms and the definitions the no-kill shelter has listed. Does no-kill really mean no-kill or are there conditions attached to the terms? If the shelter truly is a no-kill shelter you can be confident that they are committed to finding a home for your pet. Communicate with the no-kill shelter your military situation and see if there are any local programs designed to address pets and PCS situations.

Our Clients Feedback